Friday 24 June 2011

What you see is what you get...

........and now I'm going to get busy!

So I nervously approached the DDO's house for our first meeting, and rang the doorbell.

"Ah yes I DO recognise you now" Sue said the second she opened the door, "John told me I would".

She remembered me from the Vocations day I recently attended, a good start!

We discussed many things; my journey thus far, how I came to this point in my life, how I feel about it all, my family life, baptism, marriage details etc....

Then she asked me if I had any questions.

The only question I asked was whether she has first impressions of potential candidates when she meets them for the first time. "Yes, of course, I sometimes meet people and I have a feeling of 'Hmmmm....no....' but you don't need to worry Elaine, I'm not feeling that with you. You seem the type of person who's pretty affable and friendly, easy to get on with and very articulate, I feel that with you there's nothing hidden, that what you see is what you get, am I right?"

I felt like doing a lap of her lounge, but demurely sipped my coffee instead, nodding my understanding.

She quickly realised I was really very much a beginner in all this, I'm not frightened to say this either, I know I've got a long way to go and alot to learn, so we discussed that I'll probably meet her regularly for a year or two whilst I gain the background, experience and knowledge I'll need if I make it to a BAP.

So, I'm about to become the newest student at St John's college, Nottingham , as I take on some modules of the CCS (Certificate in Christian Studies) I never thought I'd be a card carrying student again after 19 years!

I've also got some reading to be getting on with (thank you Amazon!) and a portfolio to build covering the 9 criteria that the BAP will test me on:  http://callwaiting.org.uk/be-sure.aspx if you're interested to know what they are, and believe me, it's not as simple as you might think to fulfil these!

I also need to begin interviewing members of the clergy team for Breedon, to gain some insight into THEIR idea of ministry, to add to my portfolio and build up a picture of what life as a priest REALLY involves and how and where and IF I fit into all of this.

So I left Sue's house with a little spring in my step but not TOO big a spring because I know that even though I might do all of this preparation; college courses etc, reading and interviewing and over the next 2 years or so, and that I'll be as ready as I think I can be for a BAP if I make it that far........

.........I could still be turned down.

No comments:

Post a Comment