Tuesday 13 March 2012

If it didn't feel so right.......

.....why would I be excited at the prospect of getting up at 4 a.m. on Easter Day and heading off to the first of the 3 churches I will be leading services in that day?

Discussing this with my husband this morning, I was explaining how things will work out on Easter Day between us as a family, and I mentioned that I will be up at 4 a.m., heading off to my placement church to deacon at the 6 a.m. vigil, then off to Breedon church to preach and serve at the 9.45 a.m. service, and afterwards off to another church in the group to preach and serve at their 11.15 a.m. service.

And the thing I noticed was that I got a huge burst of butterflies while I was discussing it.

I am HUGELY excited at the prospect of all this and feel that I definitely now consider myself a church leader, lay preacher, lay deacon, whatever you'd care to call me. I'm feeling rather snazzy too in my beautiful alb, guarding it fiercely against smudges and dirty marks (I'm sure I'll be chucking it around any old how in years to come though)

Week 4 of my 8 week placement has come and gone and I've learned so much. I've made the odd mistake too, but I've done so many more things right and well that the mistakes are no problem, all part of the learning curve.

The most striking thing for me during all of this, is that this role, this servants role that I find myself in, is an extremely humbling one and one that makes me feel totally and utterly insignificant in the big scheme of things. It's an honour and a privilege to be serving people in this way and it feels like my natural place in life. I hope you can understand what I mean by this.

And after my placement and Easter are over, I think I'll be ready for a couple of Sundays off.

2 comments:

  1. My dear Elaine you sound just like I did when i started walking in Christ's footsteps. Oh! let me introduce myself my name is John and you know my daugther - Georgine - and I would be willing to share with you my walk with the Lord and how he continuously inspires me in all I do. i have just been on a Good Friday vigil - could have stayed there all night - but will do so in my minds eye - cud have prostrated myself in front of the cross - hmmm! sounds like someone I know - David I think his name was. Going on too much see you around sometime or give me a ring sometime - George will give you my tel no and email address. God Bless you as you walk with the Lord. John (The Rockinrev)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you John,

      Your reply has given me a bit more confidence!

      I am so humbled to feel called in this way. That's it. Full stop. I am a servant, this is how I feel I am being used and that's more than fine by me.

      The Easter morning vigil was beautiful, and joyful, and happy and also very poignant and sad. I felt privileged to be part of Christs' journey, literally like I was there, helping Him through His pain, sending Him to His Father. I can't describe it.

      I would love to talk with you sometime about your calling, your journey and your walk with God. I'm sure it will inspire me.

      Thank you for taking the time to comment.

      Gods blessings and peace be with you always.

      Yours in Christ.

      Elaine

      Delete