Wednesday 11 January 2012

The Power of Prayer

In the last few months, as friends, family and aquaintances become more aware of the journey I am on and as I myself become more 'Godly' in my outlook and attitude (if you understand what I mean by this), I am finding myself increasingly consulted in matters of morality, the giving of advice and quite often, I'm asked to pray for someone.

Now I don't know if this is because of the fact that I have offered myself up for ordination and have a life deeply grounded in Christ, or even because maybe I, to them, have changed in such a way that I display more of the virtues of a priestly person than I did before, but this is what's happening.

I don't hesitate of course, I gladly agree to pray for that someone or that situation; I remember them in my Night Prayers and have them mentioned in church during Intercessions. I also have them on my mind at times of impromptu praying, whenever the need to pray comes upon me.

Which makes me ask the question: Even if you are not a churchgoer, have no real faith in Christ, or are simply not interested - Does the knowledge that someone is praying for you give you a feeling of well-being and some measure of inner peace? Does it enable you to go about your daily life safe in the knowledge that someone spiritually 'has your back'?

It's an extremely important thing, having the responsibility for someone's spiritual well-being in your hands. How you treat that well-being and what you do with it are of tantamount importance and should not be taken lightly. It is a God given gift to be able to pray for someone, a precious task to be handled with delicacy, care and loving attention at all times.

So I ask you this - and I don't mean for you to necessarily think of me as that person, just because you know me but "Does having someone pray for you help you to cope with a difficult situation?"

I'm inviting you to please add your comments below, I'm very interested to know how this question makes you feel.

I'd also like to know if you would be interested in 'Prayer Requests' whereby you give me the name(s) of people who are going through difficulties that you would like me to pray for, or even if you yourself need the occasional prayer to help and guide you.

Bit of a different post this one, as you've probably gathered but please work with me on this, it should take just a few seconds of your time.

God Bless.

Elaine

(And funnily enough, just as I finish typing this, another prayer request is received)

1 comment:

  1. Really interesting Elaine, I do enjoy your posts and find them very thought provoking, so I'll share my thoughts with you. I do not share your religious beliefs, your god does not play a big part in my life though I fully respect your beliefs and love hearing about your journey. A few years ago I took on the challenge of climbing kilimanjaro, a life long dream, I went on my own but before I left I asked all my friends and family to think of me on summit night, it was so important to me and I know a lot of my friends did, I know some raised a glass and I know some said a prayer. That night turned out to be the hardest night of my life I had altitude sickness, hypothermia, was completly exhausted and delerious but I truely believe the positive thoughts and prayers from the people who were special to me got me to the top that night. Maybe it was knowing that they were 'with me' that helped I don't know, but I don't think I could have done it without them.......... Sorry if that became a ramble you really sparked a memory for me when I read that :)x

    ReplyDelete